Igniting Creativity! workshop
August 10th and 11th
Please check the Workshops and Private Instruction page for information on this and other upcoming art workshops and seminars.
Solo exhibition, Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, Winston-Salem, NC. Debut of The Portal painting installation along with other works. Fall 2020; dates TBA
Thank you to those who attended the Subscribers’ Studio Soirée
I appreciate all who joined us on June 2nd for the largest Subscribers’ Studio Soirée turnout ever! I will be posting photographs and highlights from the event soon, but in the meantime, if you couldn’t make it, please read on to see what you missed.
Special thanks go out to Lindsey Willis and CJ Mitchell of Friendly Product, whose haunting improvisational ambient music was a welcome addition to this year’s Soirée.
Please save the date and plan to join us on Sunday, June 2nd from 2 PM to 5 PM for my annual open studio event held exclusively for newsletter subscribers.
Special Soirée events include:
- New artwork. Below is a sneak peek of my watercolor experiments for the latest piece in the Meditative Labyrinth Elemental Suite. I won’t be giving out any additional previews of my new artwork or works in progress until after the Soirée, so please attend to see more.
- Natural pigment demonstration. I will be demonstrating some of the techniques I have been exploring with natural pigments, including those made from semi-precious stones like the swatches of Hematite and Black Tourmaline below.
- Creativity exercises. Both artists and non-artists alike will benefit from fanning the flames of creative potential. Kindle your imagination with a few surprises from my upcoming workshop, Igniting Creativity!
- Really exciting announcements. I have great news that I am looking very forward to sharing at the Soirée. For those of you who cannot attend, I will reveal my big announcements in the next issue of my newsletter, Off the Easel, as well as here on the Events page of my website.
- Subscribers’ Raffle. Subscribers get a ticket just for attending! To earn additional tickets, bring a friend who subscribes to my newsletter or make a purchase of $25 or more. This year’s prizes along with full details are listed below.
- Special Guests: Improvisational Music by Friendly Product. Please read on to learn more about the band.
- And much more!
The Soirée will be held at my Studio 111, located in the cobalt blue building in the historic West End Mill Works Community at 915 Bridge Street, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101. Additional directions are below.
Please RSVP by Wednesday, May 29th.
Watercolor test swatches, Hematite Genuine and Black Tourmaline. Studies for Sacred Earth Strata Spiral (The Earth Snake), the earth painting in the Meditative Labyrinth Watercolor Suite
Our Special Guests: Friendly Product
Please join me in welcoming Lindsey Willis and CJ Mitchell of Friendly Product to the Soirée. With a spotlight on creativity during this year’s event, their improvisational music is the perfect complement to our gathering.
Friendly Product is a musical collaboration that works to access the collective consciousness that is “Musick,” utilizing improvisation and a rotating selection of instruments as well as drone, noise, ambient, and electro-acoustic techniques. Friendly Product is based in Boone, NC.
Tickets. All newsletter subscribers who come to the Soirée will receive one raffle ticket just for attending. If you bring guests, you’ll be awarded a bonus raffle ticket for each one who subscribes during the Soirée!
As an additional reward to my subscriber patrons, you can earn additional raffle tickets by making a minimum $25 purchase or more between now and during the Soirée. Clients who attend this year’s Soirée who have made purchases since last year’s event will also be awarded additional raffle tickets.
Earn a raffle ticket for every $25 spent, and increase your odds of hopefully winning a prize when attending the Soirée! Please visit my Shopping Cart page to see available merchandise at a variety of price points.
Please note that you or your representative do need to be present to win; the raffle will take place at 4 PM.
Prizes. During the Soirée, subscribers might win one of the following:
• Pack your bags. Whether you dream of floating along the romantic Seine, cruising down the mysterious Nile, meandering around New Orleans’ historic French Quarter, or walking in the Lake District footsteps of William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter, the world is your oyster thanks to Mayflower Cruises and Tours. The winning subscriber will enjoy a generous $500 off any of their trips offered in 2019 or 2020!
From snorkeling on Australia’s Outer Barrier Reef to spotting grizzlies in Alaska or Bengal tigers in India, Mayflower Cruises and Tours is your passport to worldwide adventure. Visit their website to see where they can take you!
Thank you to travel expert Michael Lundquist for this generous and exciting grand prize. Contact Michael today (michael (at) mayflowercruisesandtours.com) to start planning your next adventure!
• Get creative. Fan the fires of your creative potential! Expanding creativity is of great benefit to both artists and non-artists alike, and one winning subscriber will receive a gift certificate to attend my upcoming Igniting Creativity! workshop the weekend of August 10th and 11th.1 This prize is a $150 value. See my Workshops and Private Instruction page for the full course description. Are you ready to ignite your creativity?
• Connect in style. Just how old is your head shot? You know you need to update it.
The winner will receive one photography session for a promotional head shot by photographer James C. Williams. During this session, Jimmy will produce between three to five images for you to use as you wish — perfect for your PR needs, social media, or other personal use. A $150 value!
You need look no further than my own PR photograph to see Jimmy’s head shot work, but please visit his website to view more. Jimmy is available to provide for all your photography needs, so be sure to contact him today.
Location and Directions:
Studio 111 is located in the cobalt blue building in the historic West End Mill Works Community at 915 Bridge Street, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101.
Bridge Street is off of Northwest Boulevard, between Reynolda Road and Thurmond/Broad Streets. (Thurmond changes into Broad at that intersection.) Once you turn off of Northwest Boulevard onto Bridge Street, you’ll pass The Breathing Room yoga studio, The Olio Glassblowing Studio, and The Porch Kitchen and Cantina. My building is beside The Porch Restaurant and Cantina, on the other side of the archway and greenspace connector, on the corner of Bridge Street and Canal. Click on the link above to open a map.
Please also refer to the yellow map of the community pictured above that you will also find posted around the area — my building is labeled Office Space (the largest gray rectangle in the lower left of the map). If Northwest Boulevard was shown on this map, it would run left to right along the top. Parking is available in front of my building as well as along the side, as shown on the map.
My fabulous new purple sign made by James C. Williams, featuring my 2019 Soirée poster
Look for the cobalt blue building with dark red trim pictured below — it’s the only building painted these colors in the community. My new purple event sign (above) with poster and balloons will also let you know that you’ve arrived!
Accessibility. There are two doors that lead directly to the front door and lobby area of my building, as seen in the photo above. A ramp, visible in the photo of the red door, is located on the side closest to the greenspace connector garden and The Porch. My studio is located on this floor.
We look forward to seeing you at the Soirée!
The 2018 Subscribers’ Studio Soirée: June 10th
Many thanks to all those who attended and participated! Here are some highlights from last year’s event:
Thank you to Andrea Amanpreet, our 2018 Special Guest. Trained in the traditional practices brought to the West by Yogi Bhajan, Kundalini Yoga Teacher and Sacred Gong Player Andrea Amanpreet treated Soirée guests to something really extraordinary: Sacred Sound Gong Meditations. Her meditative, ethereal gong playing really mezmerized everyone, and left us feeling truly transported.
Much appreciation goes to my good West End Mill Works neighbor, The Olio, for providing a stunning, handblown glass oil lamp for a raffle prize last year. This non-profit Glassblowing Studio and Social Enterprise is focused on community, arts, empowerment, and sustainability. Subscriber Mercedes McCloskey was excited to win the beautiful prize, seen below.
The Olio offers programs for all ages, including classes, workshops, a Youth Apprentice Program, and a retail shop. A uniquely sustainable studio, the Olio recycles and repurposes waste bottles into handblown glassware.
Other raffle winners were none other than Andrea Amanpreet, who won the two-hour private art lesson with yours truly, and Lea Lackey Zachmann, whose name was drawn to win a head shot with James C. Williams.
Top four event photographs by James C. Williams; bottom two photographs by Amy Funderburk
Please subscribe to my newsletter Off the Easel to receive announcements of future events, and to receive an invitation to my annual Subscribers’ Studio Soirée, a special event open exclusively to newsletter subscribers.